Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My mom love Gaga

I was horrified when my mother told me she loved Lady Gaga. I think I may have puked a little. Gotten that taste in my mouth of bile and half digested ramen noodles. Then I swallowed and began again. My Mother likes Lady Gaga, and I’m okay with that. Lady Gaga is probably happy with my mother’s devotion. To be an entertainer in today’s industry it seems you have to be a sex symbol. We have seen many teenage women exploited for their sexuality not only to teenage boys but also older men, toeing the line between child pornography and sex sells. Gaga has subverted this standard with her recent decadence into the sexual horror fantasy. With her video for Bad Romance and her cameo in Beyonce’s Video Phone she shows that sexuality is only one part of the industry that strong women should be fighting against. Gaga plays off men’s desires of bad women and then turns them upside down when she depraves what are normally seen as the sexual parts of her body and shows that her will power is dominant and she is more than just a body. Gaga’s forcefulness to be a monster and horrify further extends her willingness to be unique instead of being what she is told. You can see the maturation with her videos. When sex was selling she was another name, when she went gothic she became the name. So I find it okay for my mother to like her, because today’s generation of women have no one smart to follow. Rosie the Riveter died a long time ago and even Madonna has thrived on her sexual image recently. If I wanted to state the negative effects of Brittany Spears I’d lose the rest of my day. The image given to women today is that of sexual fulfillment through male attraction. Modern entertainment are teaching women that they can define their worth through what men fantasize about them, Gaga is subverting them. She is mastering the world by dominating men and playing off what they fear. I’m terrified of Gaga, and that’s a good thing. If women need a role model it is someone who is strong willed and does what she wants. I have younger cousin’s who are girls and I’m happy they are Gaga fans. Last year I heard one of them singing the Souljah Boy song involving superman’ing a ho. Which is ejaculating on a woman’s back and then sticking a sheet to your sperm so when she runs away it sticks. I’d rather have they spurting poker face any day. In a world that glorifies rap lyrics that involve smacking bitches and tapping asses I guess I’m happy my mom and cousins have someone like Gaga around. I’ll never know what it is like to be a woman but I can still say I’d rather have them be strong ones, even terrifying ones, than bitches and ho’s. Even if it means I can’t tell what to do anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment